System for the Organization & Management of Health & Safety (SOMHS)
What is the SOMHS – The System of the Organization & Management of Health & Safety
The System of the Organization & Management of Health & Safety (SOMHS) concerns the requirement for the establishment of a system regarding the Management and Prevention of Occupational Hazard in the construction of Public Works.
The System of the Organization & Management of Health & Safety (SOMHS) is usually developed by the contractor of the project, who, according to the Law, has the responsibility to implement it, and integrates all procedures and actions for the monitoring and implementation of health and safety measures in the project, as well as of the HSP and HSF, including the Risk Assessment.
The (SOMHS) is compulsorily monitored by the Department to which belongs the Technical Public Work project.
What is about the System of the Organization & Management of Health & Safety (SOMHS)
The minimum requirements for SOMHS include, inter alia:
- The Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) Policy Statement.
- The appointment of Safety Officer, the Safety Coordinator and the Occupational Doctor.
- The OHS management system of the subcontractors of the project.
- The safety procedures to be implemented in the project (eg accident investigation, first aid, staff training, etc.).
- The instructions for the safe execution of the work and the necessary specific studies to be carried out.
- The system of the OHS inspections and meetings to be observed during the project.
- The full deployment of the HSP and HSF of the project
- The analytical listing of the risk sources and the risk assessment at each phase and sub-phase of the project.
- The operation and maintenance manual of the project, after the completion of the work.
The role of GEP
GEP, as the largest health and safety workplace in Greece, undertakes public works and has a lot of experience in the development of Health and Safety Management & Management Systems (SOMHS).